The continuous increase in COVID-19 positive cases, long working hours from home, and taking care of your loved ones and yourself during the pandemic can be overwhelming. As we are trying to adjust to a difficult new normal, it’s usual to feel stressed during certain times. You can feel angry, sad, discouraged, and occasionally, out control. Stress and anxiety can lead to headache, muscle tension, fatigue, and sleeplessness.
While it’s necessary to stay up-to-date about the COVID-19 (coronavirus), the constant news cycle can have a real impact on mental health. During these uncertain and difficult times, it is ever more important to incorporate self-care and structure into your schedule.
Here are some tips to take care of yourself and your family during the COVID-19 pandemic:
1. Physical health
- Exercise regularly. You can also go for a walk in the park or ride a bicycle, however, ensure to practice social distance guidelines.
- Eat a healthy and well-balanced diet to fuel your body.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Try to get sleep of 7-8 hours every night.
- Quit smoking and avoid drinking alcohol.
- Don’t ignore public health recommendations.
2. Mental health
- Don’t overthink things you can’t control.
- Maintain a routine at home.
- Use technology to stay connected with your loved ones.
- Be grateful for today.
- Read books and listen to music to spend your time.
- Consume news and report facts from reliable sources such as WHO and CDC. Avoid the media that sensationalizes emotions. Limit your exposure or take a break from the news and social media if you find that it makes you anxious.
- Try to help your community such as by helping or checking on older people in your neighborhood, donate essential supplies to the needy people, and donate blood, etc.
- Acknowledge and appreciate what others are doing to help you and your community.
Symptoms to watch for:
If any of these symptoms become persistent or interfere with your daily routine, consult with your health care provider for help:
- Anxiety that turns into feelings of being out of control
- Feeling hopeless or helpless
- Trouble focusing on daily activities
- Strong feelings that interfere with daily activities
- Having emotions that become difficult to manage
These are some self-care tips that you can follow to stay away from the negativity and to overcome stress. Moreover, don’t forget to take preventive measures to stop the spread of COVID-19 outbreak.