If you are experiencing a stroke, you need immediate treatment to reduce the risks of brain damage, disability, or even death. The main causes of stroke can be ischemia (loss of blood supply) or hemorrhage (bleeding) in the brain. However, you can prevent stroke if the signs and symptoms are recognized.
Stroke symptoms are unique and come without any warning. The National Stroke Association suggests the term “FAST” to recognize common stroke symptoms.
|F – Face||Droop or uneven smile on a person’s face|
|A – Arms||Numbness or weakness in arms can be a warning sign. Ask the person to raise the arms, if the arm drops down or isn’t steady, it can be a warning sign.|
|S – Speech Difficulty||Ask the person to speak something. Slurred speech can be a warning sign of a stroke|
|T for Time||Act fast|
Your doctor may give you aspirin or clot-busting drugs to treat the stroke. The treatment works best when taken within 3 hours of onset symptoms.
Symptoms/Warning Signs Of Stroke
There are chances that there may be no warning signs of a stroke until it occurs. However, some of the patients may experience transient ischemic attack (TIA). It’s a mini stroke that gets better and resolves spontaneously. It is a temporary impairment of brain function, caused due to loss of blood supply. The symptoms of TIA can be mild or dramatic and similar to the stroke symptoms. It should not be ignored as it can be an early sign of stroke. Sometimes a stroke happens gradually and you may experience:
- Weakness/ numbness in your face, arm, or leg, especially on one side
- Trouble in understanding other people
- Difficulty in speaking
- Trouble seeing with one or both eyes
- Problem in walking
- Staying balanced or coordinated
- Severe headache
If you experience any of these symptoms, contact 911 ASAP. Some of the additional symptoms include:-
- Overall fatigue
- Sudden behavioral changes
- Fainting, pain, nausea, and vomiting etc.
What To Do In Situation Of Stroke?
Here are some of the things that you must keep in mind are:
1. Don’t wait when you notice that someone is having warning signs for stroke
You must act quickly if you notice that someone is having the symptoms of a stroke. Speedy treatment can improve chances for full recovery. According to the American Heart Association, there are chances that an individual might not exhibit all of the warning signs of having a stroke.
2. After you call, find out when you noticed the first warning sign
The emergency team can use this information to offer the right treatment. There are certain medicines that are needed to be administered within 3 hours of stroke symptoms to help prevent disability or death. So think FAST, act quickly, and get emergency help if you notice any stroke warning signs.
How You Can Prepare And Prevent Stroke?
Preparation For Stroke
You can prepare for stroke by following these steps:
- Educate your family and friends about “FAST”
- Keep your updated medical history handy
- Don’t forget to keep a copy of your medications with you wherever you go
- Always save emergency contact number on your phone.
- Teach your children how to call for help
Prevention Of Stroke
Having a stroke increases the risk for another attack. The best treatment for a stroke is prevention. You can take the following steps to minimize the risk of a stroke:
- Add more veggies, nuts, and beans to your diet
- Avoid poultry, red meat, and eggs and eat more seafood
- Limit intake of fats, sodium, sugars, and refined grains
- Exercise regularly
- Quit smoking
- Limit alcohol
- Take your prescribed medications as recommended by your doctor
If you know any other tips to prevent a stroke, do let us know in the comment section below.