Prescription and over-the-counter medicines cause many side-effects. Heartburn is one of them. Heartburning – that burning in your chest or throat that happens when acid flows up from your stomach.
If you experience heartburn after taking your medicines, it’s better to make a list of medicines you take and consult with your doctor immediately. Your doctor can change your medication.
Medications That Cause Heartburn
Some of the medicines that are responsible for heartburn are:
- High blood pressure medications
- Anxiety medications
- Osteoporosis medications
- Pain relievers
Tips To Treat Relief Heartburn
If any of your medicine is causing heartburn, you can follow these tips to relief from it:
- Pay attention to your medicines – You must pay attention to when and how to take your medicines. There are some medications that should be taken right after a meal and others on an empty stomach to make heartburn less likely. If you are unsure, ask your healthcare provider when to take each of your medications
- Drink fresh pineapple juice – Pineapple juice contains an enzyme called bromelain. This enzyme helps digest proteins and reduces heartburn.
- Try ginger and its supplements – You can try ginger tea as it helps with digestion and soothes stomach and intestines. You can have a cup of ginger tea post-dinner to reduce the symptoms of heartburn.
- Quit smoking – Cigarette smoke damages the muscle that prevents acid from flowing into the esophagus. If you want relief from heartburn, it’s better to quit smoking as soon as possible.
- Reduce weight, if you’re overweight – Being overweight is one of the main reasons for heartburn. Extra pounds are responsible for putting pressure on your stomach and forcing more acid up into your esophagus. If you’re overweight, practice yoga or start working out daily to reduce your weight.
If you know any other tips to get relief from heartburn, do let us know in the comment section below.