6 Foods That Can Be Dangerous For Your Dogs
Some foods that are good for humans could be dangerous to your dogs. This is because of the difference in metabolism capabilities of humans and dogs. Some foods might cause mild digestive problems whereas other can cause illness and even death. So it’s really important to know which food you can feed your dog and which you shouldn’t. Here is a list of some food items that are harmful for your dogs.
- Avocado – Do you think a treat from your table is OK for your dog? Well, it depends what product it is. Avocados contain persin, which can cause mastitis, heart failure, and death. It can cause upset stomach in dogs. The most dangerous thing for the dogs is the avocado pits. The pit is slippery and it can be swallowed by the dogs leading to an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract. Prevention is the best way to keep avocados out of your dog’s mouth.
- Onions and Garlic – Keep onions and garlic away from your dog. They can damage your dog’s red blood cells, leading to anemia. A rare small dose is probably okay, but too much of onion and garlic are poison for your dog. If your dog chews onion or garlic accidentally, look for signs like weakness, vomiting, and breathing issues. if your dog experience any of these warning signs, take him to the vet right away.
- Salt – It’s not a good idea to share salty foods like chips or pretzels with your dog. Giving too much salt to your dog can make him feel thirsty, resulting in sodium ion poisoning. Some symptoms of too much salt include tremors, seizures, vomiting, depression, diarrhea, and high temperature etc. It may even cause death.
- Chocolate – There are better ways to treat your dogs. But treating your dog with chocolate is a big No! Chocolate contains theobromine. It’s in all kinds of chocolates, even white chocolate. The most dangerous types of chocolates are dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate. Chocolate can cause a dog to vomit and have diarrhea. It can also cause heart problems, tremors, seizures, and death.
- Grapes and Raisins – Grapes and raisins are bad for dogs. These fruits can cause kidney failure in dogs. And just a small amount can make a dog sick, causing diarrhea or vomiting, dehydration and lack of appetite. Vomiting over and over is an early sign of serious health issue. Moreover, there are chances that your dog will feel sluggish and depressed within a day.
- Apple cores – Be careful about leaving apple cores in the house. Apple cores (including peaches, apricots, pears, and plums) contain a compound called glycosides. These glycosides are very harmful for the dogs and can cause symptoms like breathing problems, collapse, hyperventilation, seizures, shock and even coma.
Being a dog owner, it’s your responsibility to keep your dog away from such toxic foods.
It should be noted that like humans, all dogs are different and they react differently to foods. It can vary from breed to breed and size of the dogs. Take your pet to your vet if your dog eats any toxic food accidentally. And don’t forget to use Wise Rx Prescription Discount Card Free to buy your pet’s medication.
Moreover, talk to your kids about the foods that you can feed to your dog to avoid any danger. You can also print out a list of fruits and vegetables that dogs can and can’t have to keep everyone in your house up-to-date.